Message From the President
Greetings Family, Friends, Supporters and Partners:
I have the honor of serving as the 13th President of Sigma Delta Omega (SDO) with the support of a remarkable, distinguished, and well-connected group of college-educated women who are committed to a culture that advances the ideals of compassion, empathy, support, and respect, while providing “Service to all Mankind” in a way that makes difference.
The SDO legacy is a serious matter. Chartered in 1990, for over a quarter of a century, our small and impassioned, award-winning chapter, has been extraordinarily successful in establishing a legacy of scholarship, sisterhood and service based out of Elk Grove, California. We have developed, implemented, and partnered with other organizations to provide and/or support life changing local and global initiatives focused on areas which include, but are not limited to youth educational enrichment, voting registration and healthcare advocacy.
As part of the nucleus, founded in 1908, with approximately 300,000 members in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated® there are chapters in the United States, Virgin Islands, Canada, Japan, Germany, Korea, South Africa, Bermuda, Bahamas, Dubai, Liberia, and Nigeria.
Sigma Delta Omega honors our founders’ vision to encourage high scholastic and ethical standards, promote unity and friendship among college women, alleviate societal challenges for women and girls, and to be of service to others.
Further, SDO is delighted to be a part of the Fascinating Far Western Region of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated®, under the leadership of the Far Western Regional Director, Shelby D. Boagni. We remain steadfast in our resolve to answer the call for action by supporting and executing all program targets implemented by our International President, Dr. Glenda Glover.
SDO continues to Exemplify Excellence Through Sustainable Service, in accordance with the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated ® International Programs in the following areas:
1. Supporting Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and assisting high school students with the college admissions process through the signature #CAPSM (College Admissions Process) program.
2. Advocating for women's healthcare and wellness by promoting breast cancer awareness and prevention, heart health, nutrition, and caring for our caregivers.
3. Building economic legacy by emphasizing financial planning, asset accumulation, managing debt, and credit repair and supporting the Black Dollar.
4. Celebrating “The Arts!” by promoting and supporting black writers, entertainers, and artists and educating community members about the Harlem Renaissance and the Black Arts Movement.
5. Making a global impact by collecting shoes and eyeglasses for donation and sewing dresses and shirts for children in Haiti.
In closing I personally thank you for visiting our website and I encourage frequent visits to stay informed about upcoming activities, events and/or to explore opportunities for partnerships as we are always actively seeking opportunities to engage with the community, collaborate with community partners, and offer programs and services that are impactful and sustainable.
Although small in numbers our outreach, involvement and impact are far stretching in all we that we do.
Serving in the Spirit of Legacy,
Yvette L. Smith-Smith
President, Sigma Delta Omega
Elk Grove, CA
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated®